27 July 2012

Washington D.C. : Day Trip

 We got to my parent's house last evening and had a restful evening/night. We woke up bright and early this morning and headed south to DC. Oh goodie, I was hoping to drive some more! Heading to Baltimore was the worst traffic I have dealt with yet. Lovely.

We made it to our subway stop and hopped onto the train to Washington DC. Thankfully, I didn't have to drive anymore...for now!
Ava was having fun trying to balance while the train was moving. Hours of entertainment!

First, we headed to the White House. Maddox and Ava are at the age where they are staring to learn about our country and it's capitol. It was fun for them to be able to see where the President actually lives! "The President of the United States lives there?!"




It was already super hot. Steamy-hot. We guzzled some water and moved on. The kiddos were already starting to whine. Oh my. This was going to be a long day. We ducked in and out of museums (all of the museums in DC are free!) to cool off. There were lots of fun things to see. The air conditioning helped calm the kids. They were ready to tackle some more walking.








Maddox was impressed with the gold. He wanted his picture taken with it!


water break.


We made our way to the capitol building. Did I mention it was hot? It was hot, but beautiful. Look at that building. Seriously. I love architecture. And Washington DC surely has a lot for the eyes to see. 


Maddox and Ava were most pumped to see the capitol building. I'm not sure why, but they were tickled when we made it here. 





We found out once we got there, that we couldn't take anything inside. No water bottle, purse, sunscreen, nothing. We didn't exactly plan for that. My mom decided to sit out in the heat while the kids and I went inside. Once inside, I had no idea where to go. Turns out, you can't really go anywhere without a pass. We didn't have a pass. Oh well, next time. The kids are too young to care anyway. Off to lunch we went. We were all hot and hungry!





We headed into the Air and Space Museum before we started heading back to our subway station. We were still hot, but the kids were having a blast and dealing with it pretty well.





We found this pretty little oasis along the way. It was a nice place to stop and rest. Ava wanted her picture taken next to every plant around. Kade was cramping her style!






pretty girl.





We handed the camera to Maddox to get a picture of my mom and I. He shot this one of Grandma and Ava and then he got these two of the girls! Silly boy. He just kept shooting. There were several pictures of me walking towards the camera...




We really wanted to go see the Lincoln Memorial, but we were out of steam. It was still several miles away, and we just couldn't do it. We got a picture of it at least!



We finally made it to the subway station. Mom treated the kids (and me) with a delicious drink when we finally made it. When we made it on the train, we were able to relax for a bit. This kid relaxed more than the rest of us! What a trooper!

We had such a good day. It was a long, hot, exhausting day, but we had so much fun. We are about one week into our vacation and so far, we have had a blast. Keep it coming!
Tomorrow, I leave for Philly to spend the weekend with a childhood friend. I can't wait. I love my kids, but I'm really looking forward to having no responsibilities for a few days! 

No comments: