15 August 2012

First Day of School...for all of them!

How did we get here? I have been fighting back emotions all week. I had a bit of a breakdown last night. Brent was making me talk about it. What is his problem?! As I sit here and look at this photo, I am so proud of these three, and the young people they have become. God is good to have blessed me with these sweat babes...though babes no more! That is for sure. 


Kade? Nervous? Not AT ALL!

Maddox wasn't quite ready for 3rd grade. I told him to give it a week, he'll get right back into the swing of things. He is very much like his momma, doesn't like change. He wants his 1st and 2nd grade teachers back!


Sweet Ava is a big 2nd grader this year. Hard to believe. She got the one teacher she didn't know! Not too crazy about that, but I know she will adjust very quickly. She has a few good friends in her class, so that always helps.


This guy. Well Mr. Kade is my big Kindergartener. Just saying that makes my heart race and my eyes well-up. How did we get here? He was so confident today. That helped me tremendously. That doesn't mean I didn't almost loose it when we walking in that door, but I stayed strong. I fought those tears harder than I ever have before, I think. It was hard. My heart hurts just writing about it. He was so excited and so ready for this day. I couldn't be happier about that, for sure.



I'll just pretend it doesn't look like I cried myself to sleep...



Keens!



and this is where I almost lost it. I don't know how I pulled that one off, but I did!
I DID NOT WANT TO LET GO!



I didn't spend much time at home today. People did a good job at keeping me preoccupied. Thank you all for that! I have another day in 6 weeks that may be even harder (when Kade goes full days), but for now, I will enjoy my afternoons I still get with him. It did my heart good today.

We are going to have another great school-year. I can feel it. Once I get past this overwhelming sadness-that sadness that I am trying so hard to repress, it will all be good. I know it will. This is normal change. It is good change. It is hard change, but it is good. I love watching my kids grow into amazing little people. They don't stay babies forever, but that's okay. Because I like who they are becoming. It is pretty darn amazing being a parent sometimes.

8 comments:

The Sieberts said...

oh Alyssa, i got tears just reading this! So glad you were occupied today...hope the coffee helped :o)
oh-and GREAT pictures.

Amanda said...

oh my goodness, I really can't handle this post!!! The kids look adorable, I love the one of them sitting on the porch and Maddox is looking at Ava. You look cute, but I could tell you had been crying. I hope the day went well!

cortney amanda kirkland pauly :) said...

sweet kids, sweet momma. love you guys.

Ranee Brokaw said...

Just caught up with your blog...fun to see your kids all ready for school and had fun talking with you about school this summer...glad to see you made it! luke starts preschool next week...so it is just the beginning for us, but i feel the same way as you at times! :) oh, and that brithday cake of ava's...seriously amazing.

JR said...

Oh, you are such a sweet momma! Glad you're getting into the swing of things. Hope this first full week is a good one!

Camille said...

My babe is only 9 months old, but I got a little teary and told her not to grow up. She just smiled at me and then kept playing with the shoelace.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

hi! I also have a 2nd grade girl and a kindergarten boy - and we too live in kansas! not sure if we're anywhere near each other, but still cool. :)

This Life said...

You kids are adorable! I love the picture of the hug you're giving during drop-off! It was so great meeting you this weekend in REAL life, now I can keep up with you in internet land!