22 September 2009

Sewing Lessons

After my first dress that I sewed for Ava, I got hooked. Since then I have made her two more dresses for fall. Both different in style and construction. I've learned that making a dress from material measurements is a piece of cake. But sewing from a pattern...well that's a whole new thing. For starters, it seems patterns are way off in sizes. My first attempt was a bit too big for Ava, but I also learned how to fix it and make it work. Another lesson learned: armholes SUCK!! Yup, they are no fun. But I suppose I may change my tune once I've had a little more practice on them.

So now that I have completed my 3rd dress for Ava, I can still say I love it. My next one is going to be a skirt. Should be easy, but I need to go clean my house before I tackle that one!



6 comments:

April Stoudt said...

So cute! I especially love the one in the top pics. Isn't it so fun to sew for little girls?

the Pie family said...

i love the fabrics! great job alyssa- this skill will come in handy for gifts. i should learn too!

The Sieberts said...

that is DARLING!!!!!!

The Veers said...

super cute!!

brandeye said...

that second one is too freaking cute. i thought you made it when i saw her in it with the sunflowers! is that amy butler fabric? she's the best.

Mr. and Mrs. B said...

Love them Alyssa!!
Ok, now my turn to ask...where oh where did you get the pattern for the brown/pink polka dot trim dress with the sash??? LOVE it :)
Thanks!